Saturday, November 14, 2009

Compliments

Love, San Francisco 2009


I want to come back to my thoughts on negative vs. positive space. I am beginning to wonder if there is even such a thing as negative space. A place that is void, can speak more of a space that is filled. I was looking through photos tonight, and it occurred to me that this is what I try to capture. I'm searching for these spaces, these actions, the unseen moments of the everyday.

Capturing this through photography is difficult. I think that a lot of times, we disregard something because it is ordinary. We walk by things a hundred times, but if we really look, is it ever the same? Maybe we are desensitized to our own images. Some photographers, or even tourists, look to capture monuments, spectacular things that they think creates glory. I find myself searching for in fact the opposite.

Movements, glances, the simplicity of the everyday. Its what we are made up of....... What we hold close and what we choose to keep afar. The negative space holds this answer, and there it is made a positive.

I am attaching some photos of mine that display this thought. Take a close look at the picture, the movements between the people, their interactions with the space. Find the weight, importance and compliments these spaces play for the other.



Portraits, San Francisco 2009






Hope, Xela Guatemala 2008






Sunday, Kikaya Village, Uganda 2008


Family still life, San Francisco 2009


Liz, Uganda, 2008


Sisters, Uganda 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment