Monday, November 30, 2009

Perspectives



Eraser, 2009

I recently wrote a short essay on obsession for a photo contest. I related it to the idea of the horizon line. It is a contant in our perspective, that no matter where you look, it creates your presence and measures your distance from point A to point B. I like this comparison. I think it is true. It has made me now readdress my own perspective. Is a horizon line just present in a landscape, or is it something that can be found no matter where you look. And is it real, or just a mirage.

A horizon line is defined as a line that gives depth, space, and the apparent line that separates the earth from the sky. I believe this line can be found in the everyday. What makes our horizon line. When looking at a landscape, we can measure our distance from this line. Because of the horizon line, it was believed that the world was flat. Even though we proved this to be false, is our own world we live in really flat. Our depth is developed by shadows, lines, tones….these factors tell us what something is made up of.  Take away our other senses, and rely on sight, how do we know what we are seeing. I guess being a photographer, I am always in search of images that challenge me in thought, an idea that makes me see something new. When I look for a photo, I look for a flat space that has variations. I see photography as a science, a math. It can deliver the truth, challenge the rules, and uncover something that develops into fact and reason.

Attached are photos with no seen horizon line. Look at what makes the depth, creates the picture. Where would the horizon line be drawn, if any at all. These images are the flat images that were projected to me. If the lines, shadows were not there, or the negative/ positive spaces were switched, how would the photo be different.



Air, 2009




Circles and Squares, 2009



Lines 1, 2009



Still Life, 2009



Composition 22, 2009 





No comments:

Post a Comment