Monday, November 16, 2009

Duplicity

Self Portrait, 2009

To reflect can mean an introspection as well as a transformation of space. Shadows and reflections have an interesting interplay as subject matter. They can show the presence of something, deliver its makeup, and question its permanence. This is shown in my photo, Self Portrait. The permanence of my shadow can determine that I was there, but in fact, does it play a role in creating the ground.

When we are looking at a reflection, what is it that we are exactly seeing. I guess being a mirror image identical twin, I was meant to have an interest in the duality of things. I wonder if the shadow is always a true reflection of its opposite. And if so, are we then the shadow of something else?

Attached are photos illustrating this idea. If the shadows/ reflections were not present, then what would take up this space. How does the shadow deliver its meaning, and in fact does the matter it suggests, really matter.


Reflections 1, 2009




Reflections 2,  2009


No comments:

Post a Comment