Friday, November 20, 2009

Something



Nothing, 2009

Many times I try to take photos of nothing. I challenge myself to what a photo can function as. It is a learning tool, an emotion, a thought, a history. It is a language outside the written word. I believe a photo has the ability to change its meaning over time.

I have always been inspired by Gerhard Richter...not only for his physical art, but the meanings behind it. He did not paint purity. His work had a psychological background that I find interesting. The most ordinary is many times the most fascinating. His blank white canvas can be more thought provoking than his abstractions. Things fluctuate over time, change and return, but his ideas have always been a constant in my own process.

On that note, here I have attached my attempts of photos of nothing, the ordinary. What may have meaning to one, may not to another. The beauty of art is not always in the image itself, but it is the thought, the idea, that changes the nothing into something.




Blue and Yellow, 2009




Traffic, 2009





Street Scape, 2009



Today Passing, 2009




Dinner Party, 2009





Big Man, Small Chair, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment